Dew & Guttation

Tonight I was reading "Jesus Calling" for November 7th and followed the verse suggestion of Psalm 29:2 ("Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness."), and this was so fine and dandy, but I kept reading the Psalm and below, in verse 6, I read "He makes Lebanon leap like a calf, Sirion like a young wild ox." and of COURSE, I said to myself, "What is 'Sirion'?" Thankfully, there was a footnote (we'll call it footnote b...probably because it WAS footnote b) that read "That is, Mount Hermon".
Recently, I'd learned that there was a Mount by this name, so I did a cross passage guide on the Logos software, and went down a rabbit hole that led me to Psalm 133:3, which reads, "It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestow
s his blessing, even life forevermore."
Now, I really had to understand, how can dew come off of one mountain and fall on another? How high up IS Mount Hermon, exactly? But I quickly realized, no...not the literal mountains, but the essence of them, figuratively. In that case, Mount Zion, is of course a fortification, or a "raised-up" place for God's people, the Israelites. The term Zion has come to mean where God's people are...a hallowed place upon which they stand. Mount Hermon, in my limited understanding so far (must do more diggin on this), is that the Hebrew word for this Mountain was Sirion (possibly where Syria is derived?), and means "a breastplate". And so, deciding that God wanted me to think of this as a treasure to be dug up, I went with the metaphor.
In Isaiah 59:17, there is a breastplate of righteousness that God puts on, and of course in Ephesians 6:10-20, we are asked by Paul to put ON this same armor of God, wherein righteousness is a breastplate as well.
That is well and good. So, dew is falling from God's righteousness to us. Now,what is dew, exactly...
In the clear, still night, when moist, warm air passes over a cool surface, the air cools down and cannot hold the water anymore. At this point, the water vapor condenses, or forms, into small drops on objects. It condenses faster than it can evaporate. God's righteousness is like a warm, water-laden air that passes over us. We cannot see it yet! It is around us, and we feel it, but when the "just right" temperature happens, the air cannot hold the water vapor aloft any longer, and it begins to be "seen" in the form of water droplets condensing on surfaces (read "surfaces" as God's people, believers).
We can be God's ambassadors, just as Paul was!
Again, that is so fine and wonderful, but Psalm 133 begins this way, "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity!" Sooo! When we do, it is like dew that collects from God onto us. His essence becomes visible THROUGH us. All true beauty actually reflects some of who God is! The I Am can condense on us when we unite in Him! Not only in the future, when God takes us all to be with Him and tyranny and terror is abolished so that His righteousness can be established (Isaiah 54:14), but NOW! (Romans 1:16-17; 2 Cor 5:20,21)
And as IF that weren't enough, I happened upon the word "guttation" which was FURTHER the idea of dew, and yet it was about droplets of water coming out of the plant from the inside! Dew condenses from the atmosphere onto a plant's surface, but guttation occurs when the there is a high level of water in the soil the water will move into the plant roots, creating a kind of water pressure moving up the roots and into the plant, forcing the water to exude through the plants because of the root pressure. Root pressure is the same process that causes sap to rise through a plant's system out through the leaves or bark. Water droplets can be driven up through the plant and out onto the leaves through this "guttation". Again, making the invisible, visible. (Galations 5:22-26; 2 Cor 5:20,21).
I'm so full from my roots with God's love sometimes that it comes exuding out of me! How exciting!!!
All this water and vapor and plants and dew and guttation, comes down to this in 2Cor 5:20,21: "20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21God made him who had not sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

Comments